Pregones/Puerto Rican Traveling Theater is proud to embark on its fourth year partnership with R.Evolución Latina for realization of the Raúl Juliá Training Unit (RJTU) in conjunction with the Beyond Workshop Series (BWS). The program is a performing arts training workshop at the pre-professional level, and is imparted by seasoned theater professionals with Broadway, Off-Broadway, Off-Off Broadway, film and television credits.
In compliance with current measures to attenuate the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, RJTU + BWS migrated to ONLINE formats for both our Dance and Shakespeare curricula. Enrollment is FREE, and we are excited to again welcome participants from the five New York City boroughs, from other states in the U.S., and from other countries around the world! In 2021 we will explore new and daring ways to improve our training and create stronger bonds with our students and teaching artists.
RJTU + BWS 2021 is a one-of-a-kind interdisciplinary (acting, dance, music) training program. Participants have the opportunity to work both virtually and in person in 3 successive learning sessions:
Session #1 SHAKESPEARE UNIT delves deep into William Shakespeare’s controversial tragedy Titus Andronicus. Zooming in on the play’s language, participants will study the riches of Shakespearean verse, dialogue, and character development, and explore the ways in which Titus holds up a mirror to our own current issues today.
Session #2 MOVEMENT UNIT consists of cumulative dance instruction in various styles including ballet, hip hop, musical theatre, Latin Fusion, modern, jazz, and others. It is designed to challenge and advance the performer’s craft even while working from home.
Session #3 FILM UNIT is a new vision for RJTU + BWS’s annual capstone theater run. Select participants from units 1 and 2 will be named to the ensemble cast of our first theater-on-film educational production, conceived by Luis Salgado and co-produced by R.Evolución Latina and Pregones/PRTT.
JOIN us for a unique live arts adventure sure to build your knowledge, skill set, and creative networks!
Important Program Details
- 18 & Up
DATES AND TIMES:
- Session #1 Shakespeare — February 22nd to March 5th — 10am to 1pm EST — Online
- Session #2 Movement — March 8th to March 19th — 10am to 1pm EST — Online
- Session #3 Film — March 22nd to April 25th — In Person with Safety Protocols
HOW TO APPLY:
- Review Guidelines and Complete
- 2021 ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
- Deadline Extended: THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 18
- Required: Self-Taped Audition Video
- Questions: [email protected]
COST AND COMMITMENT:
- FREE • NO COST! This program is created to further the growth of artists that are committed to giving back. Those accepted into the 2021 RJTU + BWS will receive a full scholarship. In return, participants are asked to pay it forward by volunteering of their time and talents to help others go beyond.
- Pregones/PRTT and R.Evolución Latina provide this platform as a means to empower professional and aspiring artists. We believe that coming together as creative community makes us stronger, and that all tools have a place in our creative practice!
This joint run of Pregones/PRTT’s RJTU + R.Evolución Latina’s BWS is a way to magnify the impact of the two partnering organizations, and honors the legacy of Miriam Colón (1936-2017) and Raúl Juliá (1940-1994), two titans who helped pave the way for all Latinx artists today.