Wednesday, November 1, 2023 at 9:30 PM
This November, BxFW collects standout Puerto Rican Heritage Month short films by international directors:
- AGUIRRE. Director: Eric Yamil Cruz & Sergio Daniel. 2021. Puerto Rico. 6:11 min. A performance in an old factory turns into a reminder of colonial oppression and exploitation.
- NUEVO RICO. Director: Kristian Mercado. 2020. USA. 10 min. Twin brother and sister stumble upon a celestial secret that changes their lives and launches them into stardom, only to discover that fame comes a steep price.
- BIOPSIA. Director: Glorimar Marrero. 2016. Puerto Rico. 13:35 min. Carmen accompanies a group of women who must travel from the island of Vieques to San Juan, capital of Puerto Rico, in order to perform breast biopsies. The long journey is by water and road. Amid many fears and obstacles, Carmen confirms the need for appropriate medical services both for them and for the people of Vieques.
- EXTRAORDINARY MR. JÚPITER. Director: Federico Torres. 2015. Puerto Rico. 17 min. Franco Jupiter, an extraordinary magician with real powers, challenges nature in order to find real love.
- THE BLUE CAPE. Director: Alejandra Lopez. 2019. Puerto Rico. 5 min. In hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico, medicine can be hard to come by. A little boy has to grow beyond his limits if he is to help his grandfather.
- RAFAGA. Director: Michelle Malley Campos. 2010. Puerto Rico. 15 min. A naive, teenage girl is swept into court by tragedy when the boy she blindly fell in love with betrays her trust in him.
- HOMELESS. Director: Luciana Faulhaber. 2020. USA. 13 min. “Homeless” is a short film that raises awareness about the increasing problem of homelessness in America. Steve is a homeless man down-on-his-luck, who while looking for a job, comes across a friendly shop owner and an aspiring nurse who try to help. Inspired by real-life events, this short film highlights the struggles of homeless people and the urgent need for effective support and intervention programs. Filmed in the backdrop of New York City.
Program presented in English and Spanish with subtitles.
9:30 PM | Bronx Film Wednesdays Digital on BronxNet TV — Hosted by BronxNet’s Sonyi Lopez.
WAYS TO WATCH:
—Cable: 67 Optimum
—Cable: 2133 FIOS
Bronx Film Wednesdays (BxFW) screens new, little-seen, and standout indie films that you will love! Travel the world and open your mind to stories as wild and from as far as the imagination can go — romance, comedy, action, sci-fi, horror, fantasy, thriller, drama, music, sports, animation, documentary, and more! Carefully selected to illustrate cultural, aesthetic, and geographic diversity. This year, BxFW goes digital in partnership with BronxNet Community Television, bringing our monthly screenings online and to public access television!