Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 9:30 PM
This June, BxFW collects standout international short films by international directors:
- AGUIRRE. Director: Eric Yamil Cruz, Sergio Daniel. 2021. Puerto Rico. 6:11 min. A performance in an old factory turns into a reminder of colonial oppression and exploitation.
- CACOS. Director: João Brás. 2021. Madeira Island. 9:59 min. As a Portuguese family adapts to a different daily life when an irreversible situation occurs,re-defining their before-and-after and changing the direction of their lives.
- MORE THAN 2. Director: Yen-Sheng Wu. 2020. Taiwan. 9:13 min. Two aliens come to Earth from a planet named Ocean to sneak into human society, observe, record and experience human life and culture. They gradually realize that there are some unwritten rules on this planet, such as gender stereotypes. After suffering all kinds of torture, they decide to leave the Earth and return to their home planet to find true freedom.
- THE WARIA OF JAVA. Director: Anna Gonzalez. 2020. Indonesia. 13:09 min. Shinta Ratri is the founder of the world’s first and only Islamic school run by and for transgender women. Over a decade ago, Shinta opened Al-Fatah Pesantren in the Muslim city of Yogyakarta. Her goal: to offer fellow Waria* the opportunity to discuss and practice their Islamic faith in a communal space.*Indonesian transgender are known as waria, a term which is a combination of two Indonesian words: “wanita,” which means woman, and “pria,” which means man.
- OLD HABITS. Director: Mary Musolino. 2020. Australia. 7:00 min. A beach-side change-room becomes a confessional for two sisters, who are forced to decide if they have the strength to endure their respective marriages or the courage to leave.
- BEHIND CLOSED CURTAINS. Director: Hanna Jónsdóttir. 2017. Norway. 20 min. Sexuality, cross-dressing, bullying and secrets. But firs, this film is about identity. Three main characters deal with different battles in their lives, as their paths cross and all tackle the obstacles in their own way.
- PASTRY. Director: Eduardo Barreto. 2016. UK. 11:44 min. A story about a sweet seduction. The fairy-tale begins when Caroline, a business woman, allows her desire for a doughnut to win over her months of dieting, actually a doomed diet, and so much more.
Program presented in English and Spanish with subtitles.
9:30 PM | Bronx Film Wednesdays Digital on BronxNet TV — Hosted by BronxNet’s Sonyi Lopez.
WAYS TO WATCH:
—Cable: 67 Optimum
—Cable: 2133 FIOS
Bronx Film Wednesdays (BxFW) screens new, little-seen, and standout indie films that you will love! Travel the world and open your mind to stories as wild and from as far as the imagination can go — romance, comedy, action, sci-fi, horror, fantasy, thriller, drama, music, sports, animation, documentary, and more! Carefully selected to illustrate cultural, aesthetic, and geographic diversity. This year, BxFW goes digital in partnership with BronxNet Community Television, bringing our monthly screenings online and to public access television!