Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 9:30 PM
Latin American Shorts | Cortos Latinoamericanos
This month, BxFW celebrates Hispanic Heritage with a selection of standout short films from the Caribbean to Argentina:
- NOSTOS ALGOS (Longing). Director: Juan Diego De León. 2021. Dominican Republic. 13 min. – Adrian faces longstanding feelings linked to the lack of support from his father for his choice to become a theater actor.
- EN LOS SUEÑOS DEL HORIZONTE (In The Horizon’s Dreams). Director: Ramón Alfonso Peña. 2011. Dominican Republic. 15 min. – In a desolate town in Cibao, two brothers and their mother live in the midst of a crisis during the Trujillo dictatorship.
- EN PEDAZOS (In Pieces). Director: Michelle Malley-Campos. 2015. Puerto Rico. 15 min. – A short a drama about love, loss, and redemption between a brother and his sister.
- NOS VAMOS PA’ PARÍS (We’re Going to Paris). Director: David Norris. 2019. Puerto Rico. 9 min. – An old married couple plan to rob a bank in order to save their house from foreclosure… and something else.
- EL ZURDO (Left Handed). Director: Alberto Martin. 2018. Cuba. 15 min. – A young and talented boxer is expelled from the boxing academy and must break the news to his grandfather.
- OSLO. Director: Luis Ernesto Doñas. 2012. Cuba. 15 min. – Raúl and Amanda, an elderly couple, live in the middle of the Cuban countryside. She is obsessed with learning about snow, he decides to bring winter home.
- LA VENTANA ABIERTA (The Open Window). Director: Lucila Las Heras. 2014. Cuba. 15 min. – A man travels to the countryside looking for peace and quiet. Once there, he will learn of a past tragedy that keeps the house and its family frozen in time.
Program presented in English and Spanish with subtitles.
9:30 PM | Bronx Film Wednesdays Digital on BronxNet TV — Hosted by BronxNet’s Sonyi Lopez.
WAYS TO WATCH:
—Facebook Live: www.facebook.com/pregonesprtt
—Cable: 67 Optimum
—Cable: 2133 FIOS
Bronx Film Wednesdays (BxFW) screens new, little-seen, and standout indie films that you will love! Travel the world and open your mind to stories as wild and from as far as the imagination can go — romance, comedy, action, sci-fi, horror, fantasy, thriller, drama, music, sports, animation, documentary, and more! Carefully selected to illustrate cultural, aesthetic, and geographic diversity. This year, BxFW goes digital in partnership with BronxNet Community Television, bringing our monthly screenings online and to public access television!
JUAN DIEGO DE LEÓN is a director and actor, known for Gaudens (2020) and Afonia de una ciudad, Santo Domingo (2021).
RAMÓN ALFONSO PEÑA has to his credit the realization of script, direction and editing of short, medium and feature films, as well as documentaries. His first relevant award is obtained as a winner of the Dominican Film Promotion Fund with the short film En los sueños del horizonte (2011). Other recognitions: Audience Award at the Fine Arts International Film Festival (2014) and the first prize at the Santiago Independent Film Festival (2015).
MICHELLE MALLEY-CAMPOS. NYU Tisch Undergraduate Film & TV alum and WIF/GM Latina Acceleration Grant recipient, Michelle Malley Campos is an award-winning writer-director with over a dozen short films and music videos under her belt and over a decade of experience in the film industry. A Puerto Rico native, she moved back to the island upon graduating and quickly established herself as a prominent young director while keeping busy with everything from founding a community cinema series to participating in film workshops for disadvantaged youths to backpacking the world for a year. She is a member of the Director’s Guild of America, having worked as an Assistant Director on a long list of Hollywood films and TV Series, and has written 4 feature-length screenplays, her latest one winning development funding from Ibermedia in 2019.
DAVID NORRIS has a Master’s degree in Mass Media Writing from Sagrado Corazón University and has distinguished himself as a screenwriter and movie director. For the past fifteen years, David has worked in various facets of the world of communications and his six short films have had a positive impact on the local film scene. He is currently working on the development of his first feature film.
ALBERTO MARTIN is a freelance filmmaker with a wide range of experiences. Cinematographer, Director, Editor: comfortable both in directing a crew and in being my own crew in solo mode with everything needed condensed in a backpack. His focus is on documentary storytelling: factual, stories and travel.
LUIS ERNESTO DOÑAS has produced a long list of short films and documentaries for screening and broadcast in Cuba and internationally. He graduated from Instituto Superior de Arte and EICTV. There he produced a short film under the supervision of Werner Herzog. He belongs to the Unión Nacional de Escritores y Artistas de Cuba.
LUCILA LAS HERAS is a screenwriter and director graduated from the Image and Sound Design Career at the University of Buenos Aires. She began her professional career collaborating in various film and advertising productions. Her works have been exhibited in more than 300 film festivals in Argentina and abroad. Her short fiction film, La ventana abierta, made with the support of Itaú Cultural and the National Fund for the Arts, has received numerous awards, including Best Argentine Short Film of 2015 at the INCAA Film Institute’s Short Film Week and Audiovisual Arts.
Still photo from En los sueños del horizonte by Ramón Alfonso Peña and trailer for Nostos Algos by Juan Diego De León reproduced by courtesy of the directors.
Special thanks to our media broadcast partners at BronxNet Community Television.
This program is made possible, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council, and the New York State Council on the Arts, with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. For a full list of our distinguished funders, visit www.pregonesprtt.org.
ONLINE & CABLE TV:
Date & Time
SEPTEMBER 7, 2022
9:30 PM Eastern
Bronx Film Wednesdays
Juan Diego De León
Ramón Alfonso Peña
Luis Ernesto Doñas
Lucila Las Heras