December 7-10, 2017
IN THE BRONX
Featuring short films from:
- ISLAND nations
- ISLAND territories and
- ISLAND states all around the world
And awarding both Festival Jury and Audience Choice winners!
Individual tickets start at $10 per screening.
- Thursday, DEC 7 @ 7pm – Standout Student Films + Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Strange Miracle (1962) featuring Miriam Colón // Films from Australia, UK, Malaysia, Indonesia, Taiwan, Manhattan, Ireland
- Friday, DEC 8 @ 7pm – Festival Opening Screening + Reception // Films from UK, Australia, Dominican Republic, Las Malvinas, Malaysia, Taiwan, Puerto Rico
- Saturday, DEC 9 @ 4pm // Films from Japan, Australia, UK, Ireland, Vitoria Brazil, Jamaica
- Saturday, DEC 9 @ 6pm // Films from Puerto Rico, Norway, Ireland, Cuba
- Saturday, DEC 9 @ 8pm // Films from Canada, UK, Ireland, Puerto Rico, Malaysia, Manhattan
- Sunday, DEC 10 @ 3pm // Films from Malaysia, Australia, Ireland, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Philippines, Australia
- Sunday, DEC 10 @ 5pm // Films from UK, Japan, Indonesia, Philippines
- Sunday, DEC 10 @ 7pm – Closing Screening + Awards Reception // Films from Canada, Greece, Croatia, Antigua & Barbuda, Taiwan, Australia
For more information call us at
An International Fest in The BX!
WHAT: A 4-day festival of standout animation, experimental, and live action films shedding new light on the cultures, philosophies, aesthetics, and category-busting experiences of filmmakers and film lovers in islands around the globe. Through a kaleidoscope of moving image, critical context, and open dialogue, the 21 ISLANDS INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FEST shines a spotlight on the islander’s distinct sense of being in the world.
This 2nd Edition of the 21 Islands International Short Film Fest in 2017 is dedicated to Puerto Rico and the legacy of pioneering Latina film, television, and theater star MIRIAM COLÓN (1936-2017).
WHEN: December 7-10, 2017. 8 screenings over 4 days!
WHERE: The festival program is held at Pregones/PRTT’s acclaimed South Bronx theater, located at 575 Walton Avenue between 149th and 150th Streets. Related festival professional development workshops held at our studios in East Harlem/El Barrio, Manhattan.
WHO: The 2017 Selection Committee, a diverse mix of arts professionals and members of the community, viewed and selected films for the festival program from the following islands: ANTIGUA and BARBUDA • AUSTRALIA • BASKA • CUBA • DOMINICAN REPUBLIC • HONG KONG • INDONESIA • IRELAND • JAMAICA • JAPAN • KALAMATA • PUERTO RICO • LAS MALVINAS • MALAYSIA • PHILIPPINES • MANHATTAN • MONTREAL • TAIWAN • UNITED KINGDOM • VESTREVANET • VITORIA.
More About 21 Islands ISFF
21 Islands International Short Film Fest is curated by filmmaker Melisa Ramos and Pregones/PRTT. Submissions are accepted on digital format between the months of July and September. A representative cross-section of the local New York City community served by Pregones/PRTT participates in the film selection process: 20 actors, musicians, humanists, writers, audience members, and neighbors of diverse age and heritage share in the task of narrowing down a list of over 1,000 multilingual film submissions from more than 200 islands worldwide.
This program is made possible, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council, and the New York State Council on the Arts, with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.
575 Walton Avenue
The Bronx, NY 10451
Located on Walton Avenue between 149th and 150th Streets in The Bronx.
RULES & GUIDELINES
- Short films must be produced and shot on the island that is represented by a local director. Short films may be from island nations, island states or island territories.
- Only the following categories will be included in the festival showcase: Fiction. Animation. Experimental. Live Action.
- Short films submitted for evaluation by the Selecting Committee must be original versions of high quality, and can be inscribed using one of the following options:
- Submmitt the short film via one of the following websites:
- Send via regular mail a DVD-Video (Widescreen aspect ratio) and a DVD-Data with a Movie file in HDV with resolution of 1280 x 720. Video file must be QuickTime (.mp4 codec H.264). The DVD must include a printed application form
(CLICK HERE to download)
and must be sent to:
571-575 Walton Avenue,
The Bronx, NY, 10451
- Submmitt the short film via one of the following websites:
- Short films in low resolution will not be considered.
- There are no restrictions as to themes or subjects. The maximum length is twenty (20) minutes, including credits.
- Short films must be no older than 3 years.
- Short films must have English subtitles (except those in English or without lines).
- Short films must be submitted by the Director, Producer or Scripwriter, or by the person or organization with the legal rights over the film. Evidence of intellectual ownership must be submitted in writing. In those cases in which the short film is submitted by a person or entity other than the Director, this person or entity must submit official proof authorized by the Director.
- By accepting to enter to this contest the participant declares that he/she/they/it has the authority and the legal capacity to participate in 21 Islands Short Film Fest and that this participation does not violate the legal rights of any person or entity. Furthermore, they agree to compensate, protect and hold harmless Pregones PRTT, its employees, officers and directors and concessionaires, exempt of any and all responsibility, loss, damages or attorney’s fees, that may arise or be related to any claim as a result of neglect, error, omission or criminal/civil act in which the participant may be a part, including, but without limitations, to intellectual or other rights.
- The organizers could use additional submission methods to expedite and facilitate the selection process at their discretion.
- With the above mentioned information, a recent photo (still) of the Director and a photogram taken from the short, both in high definition, shall be sent with its proper authorization to be published without restrictions.
- Submission period begins July 2017 and ends September 2017. The festival will be celebrated December 7-10, 2017.
- All works submitted to Pregones PRTT in The Bronx and 21 Islands Short Film Fest 2017 will be included in the permanent archives of Pregones PRTT. The mere participation in the contest constitute a valid legal authorization that entitles Pregones PRTT to exhibit the competing short films, without limitations, in any media present or future and at any place in the world, provided due credit is given to the authors.
- The non-profit nature of all Pregones PRTT activities guarantees that the works submitted will be used only to advance the educational and cultural objectives of Pregones PRTT.
- Participants will be informed of the results of the competition through the Pregones PRTT website (www.pregonesprtt.org), or any other page/site created for that purpose, and announcements in the local and international press and by email.
- 21 Islands Short Film Fest will award its filmmakers with script writing softwares and free film magazine subscriptions.